Thank you for expressing an interest in helping the League, and helping our animals! Following you will find some of the basic information about volunteering at the AWLA.
What do Volunteers Do?
AWLA volunteers assist in many capacities. Following are the most common areas in which our volunteers help:
- Cat socializing
- Dog walking
- Office support (answering phones, data entry, help with mailings)
- Seasonal and/or project-based help (this can be anything from gardening to graphic design as many volunteers offer their professional skills when needed)
- Special events assistance (for adoption events and League fundraisers)
- Wildlife transport (to bring injured wildlife to licensed rehabilitators in the area)
Our volunteers help in a variety of other ways. If you have a special talent that you’d like to share with us and our residents, please contact the League at 703-746-4774 or email volunteers@AlexandriaAnimals.org.
How Can I Become a Volunteer?
The League asks all those interested to complete a few simple steps before becoming a volunteer.
- Tell us about yourself
- Attend a volunteer orientation (NOTE: There are no volunteer orientation sessions currently scheduled.)
- Meet with the League’s Volunteer Coordinator
- Train with staff who know your specific volunteer position
- Register for your first volunteer shift, shadowing a current AWLA volunteer
- Schedule your regular times to volunteer and join us at the shelter!
What is the Time Commitment for Volunteering?
League staff members train each volunteer, and ask that all volunteers spend two hours per week for a minimum of six months in their roles as volunteers. We ask all volunteers to schedule their time so that we know when volunteers will be in the shelter and may be able to assist with certain tasks.
My Schedule is Unpredictable. Can I Still Volunteer?
The League understands that everyone's time is precious. If you cannot commit to a regular volunteer schedule in the shelter, we welcome your time and talent in other ways: helping with special events; disseminating League information; and assisting with administrative tasks and special projects (some of which can be completed at home).
Are there Age Requirements for Volunteering?
We require that all volunteers be over the age of 18. Younger shelter friends can still help our furry residents as part of our Youth Volunteer Program. Click here for more information.
Please contact the League at 703-746-4774 or email volunteers@AlexandriaAnimals.org.