The AWLA has an immediate need for foster homes for several of our dogs. If you are able to open your heart and home to homeless animals in need of extra care and attention, please contact avigil@AlexandriaAnimals.org or call 703.746.5589. Thank you!
Join us at the Vola Lawson Animal Shelter on Saturday, April 6th for the AWLA Baby Shower!
The League relies on foster caregivers to provide extra care and attention to some of our most vulnerable residents, including puppies and kittens as well as adult companion animals who are recovering from surgery or illness. Our foster caregivers amaze us with their dedication to provide their guests with love and support. Fostering can be exhausting and even heart-breaking work, but foster caregivers say that preparing their charges for lifetime homes is the best possible reward.
Unable to foster but want to support the program? Check out the Foster Care Wish List for items you can donate to help our caregivers and their foster animals.
Through fostering, the League hopes to:
- Improve the health of ill, injured, or poorly managed companion animals
- Ensure that all underage and underdeveloped animals have reached the proper level of maturity for adoption
- Increase the adoptability of undersocialized companion animals
- Increase the shelter’s capacity to care for animals in need
Is Fostering Right for Me?
Fostering animals requires, time, patience and flexibility. Please consider these fostering basics:
- Typical assignments last from one week to two months, depending on the animal’s needs
- The League provides all basic supplies and medical care for each fosterling
- Foster caregivers are asked to provide a clean, quiet environment for their fosterlings
- All fosterlings should be kept separate from other pets in the home—limiting disruption of each pet's routines and limiting the chance for germs to spread
- Foster caregivers receive training on how to care for their particular fosterlings
How Do I Get Started?
All foster caregivers must first attend a general League volunteer orientation. We then ask all our foster caregivers for the following:
- A completed Fostering Caregiver Application
- A completed Landlord Permission Request Form (for renters only)
- An interview and training session
After completing the required forms, please return to:
Animal Welfare League of Alexandria
4101 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22304
Or fax to 703-746-4775 or email to avigil@AlexandriaAnimals.org
Please contact avigil@AlexandriaAnimals.org or call 703-746-4774.