Since 1946, the Animal Welfare League, an independent, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, has been a safe haven and a voice for homeless animals in our community and a resource for area pet lovers. As part of our contract to provide animal care and control services for the City of Alexandria, the League receives approximately one-third of our annual operating budget from the city.
We rely on the generosity of our donors for two-thirds of our budget to provide critical care to our companion animal residents and quality programs for our surrounding community.
Why Support the League?
- We are the local, non-profit animal sheltering organization serving our community, and depend on our community to join us in our mission to end animal homelessness and promote animal welfare throughout our region.
- The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria has been awarded a Four Star rating from Charity Navigator. Charity Navigator rates non-profit performance and financial habits and AWLA is honored to be recognized as an example of excellence in non-profit managment.
- Every year, the League cares for more than 3,500 companion animals, maintaining our open admission policy—never turning away any animal in need.
- We provide community outreach and education to our entire region and work to improve the lives of pets, their guardians, and those who simply care about animals. From career days at elementary schools to bite-prevention programs for local utilities’ workers, AWLA staff provide important information regarding companion animals and how we can safely interact with them.
- Our name belies our geographic range. The League serves much of the Northern Virginia and Metropolitan DC region. We regularly adopt companion animals to residents of neighboring counties and jurisdictions.
- Animal homelessness is everyone's concern. Even those who do not own a pet recognize that we all share a responsibility to care for those unable to care for themselves.
How Can I Donate?
The League gratefully accepts all donations. Following are some of the more common ways to contribute to the League.
- Give through the United Way (#8372), the Combined Federal Campaign (#92767) or other workplace giving programs (CVC #8068).
- Memorial Gifts are a thoughtful way to commemorate the passing of a friend, loved one, or companion animal. Special notification will be sent to surviving family members, as requested.
- Gifts in Honor of a friend or pet recognize that individual's significance in your life as well as their compassion for animals in need.
- Celebratory Gifts honor special events (such as weddings, birthdays, and anniversaries) while demonstrating a commitment to homeless animals.
- Planned Gifts leave a legacy of love and care for the thousands of animals who come through our doors each year.
- In-Kind Gifts help the League stretch our resources even further. Please review our Shelter Wish List (and Amazon Wish List) to learn more about the types of materials we can use at the shelter.
Questions about Donating?
Please contact Diana Cole, our Development Manager at email@example.com or 703-746-5651 with any questions.
Click here to make an online donation to the League. Thank you!
If you would prefer to make your donation offline, click here to download a printable donation form.
Click here to see a list of current financial documents.
Our tax ID/EIN is 54-0796610
The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria is an independent, local, non-profit organization. We are not affiliated in any way, nor do we receive support from the Humane Society of the United States, the American Humane Association, the ASPCA or Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. All of the financial support we receive stays within our community. Your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent provided by law.